Best Commercial Defrag Program:
Raxco PerfectDisk 8
The category is hotly contested, with stiff competition from O&O Software and Golden Bow but the Raxco product won for the following reasons:
- PerfectDisk is easy to install and use, both for the novice and the power user;
- The features are well integrated, and relevant;
- The default method of organising files is well thought out and extremely effective;
- The boot time defrag solves problems that many other defrag programs ignore; and
- The overall performance improvement is well worth the cost of the software.
Update 8 Feb 2008: I have tested and reviewed PerfectDisk 2008, and feel that it is a worthy successor and retains the "winner" status for the best commercial defrag program.
Best Freeware Defrag Program:
I'm glad I found this utility. I thought that Contig was the best freeware defrag program, and I still use it heavily, but JkDefrag is a masterpiece, and for a cash-strapped small business I have no problem installing it on all the workstations.
- It is simplicity itself to use;
- It is fast and effective;
- The file placement alogorithm is excellent; and
- The screen saver option is logical and helpful.
Download JkDefrag 3.26 + NTREGOPT + PageDefrag + JkDefrag GUI + Contig, all in a simple setup program.