Friday, May 25, 2007

The Cost of Reinstalling Windows: Part III

The reinstall of my laptop continues. Most of the Microsoft stuff is done, except for SQL Server, since I downloaded the wrong file. It was midnight when I started the download.
8:05am: Begin copying files from Penny's laptop and the DVD backup disks.
9:00am: Download and install iTunes. In typical Apple fashion it crashed the first time, and I had to install it again. This time I disabled the automatic download software, which is brain dead.
9:43am: Discovered that the SQL Server 2000 patch file (44MB) was the wrong one. Begin downloading the 66.9MB correct one (SQL2000-KB884525-SP4-x86-ENU.EXE) instead.
10:30am: Autopage phones with more unsolicited marketing. Will they ever learn?
11:00am: Begin copying c:\dev directory from Penny's machine. This will take the rest of the day. Leave for appointment at Drive Report.
8.00pm: Arrive home after a meeting and site visit and find most of the files copied, but defrag needed to tidy up the mess.
Total downloads: 797.81MB, upload 24.91MB.
9:00pm: Milo and SQL Server 2000 SP4 installation.
10:00pm: Reboot. Used TweakUI to log in automatically and disable AutoRun on all drives.
10:42pm: Download SafeXP and PsShutdown.
11:00pm: More Milo, plus finally get to download my emails into Outlook. Set up Gmail and Spamcop accounts. More defrag work needed.

No comments:


Warning: The NSA and 4 million other sick weirdos with "security clearance" have intercepted this page and know that you are reading it.